Friday, April 13, 2007

Today is the Day

Today just happens to be the day when my work will find out I have a Master's degree. I managed to skirt the issue in my interview (so as to be able to secure the job in the first place), but today I'm getting my 'staff photo' taken for the website (more like a mugshot, I've been told), and I've been asked to list my credentials as well. It would be downright lying to not mention it (as opposed to the half-lying that I did in my interview!), so I'm going to go ahead and brazenly write: 'Dana L., B.A., M.A. (Calgary)' beneath my photo.

I don't know if this will change anything at work. Maybe my employers will be surprised and a bit upset at me for not saying so before they hired me. But maybe they won't care (or even notice!) Either way, I suppose it really doesn't matter. I have perfectly well-thought-out responses to any imaginable reaction I can invoke.

And just to keep you updated on the goings-on of my 'career path', I'm starting to hear a quiet little voice inside, preparing me for my next journey-slash-calling. (And to borrow a bit from Kathy, who mentioned about five times in a recent post that 'no, she's not pregnant'-- no, I'm not pregnant! I think. Hope. Um... We'll have to wait until the next period to confirm.) I just have been feeling more aware of little synchronicities in my life lately, and they all seem to be leading me in a new and exciting (at least to me) direction. I'll have to let these ideas stew a bit more before I come out and set my next Five Year Plan in Soviet stone, but in the meantime, I'm starting to feel more relieved that perhaps I didn't get my MA for damn all nothing.

And speaking of Soviet stone, have any of y'all seen the movie Everything is Illuminated? As a Ukrainian and a big fan of the band Gogol Bordello, I have to highly recommend it. Are you looking for a movie with an ironic 80s vibe and purposely horrible Ukrainian-to-English translations? ("official seeing eye bitch", anyone?) Have you ever wondered what Eugene Hutz looks like without his fu-manchu mustache get-up? Then really, you must, must see this movie. End of story.

Yours respectfully,
Dana, M.A.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Good luck! I'm sure your employer will think of what a deal they have in you.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on coming out! I wouldn't worry about it but your employer's reaction would definitely be interesting to note. Be good,
Rose